Erroneous path names for VAX files

Date: Wed, 20-Dec-89 08:40:18-PST
From: OLLIE::"tomh@OLLIE"@KAHUNA
Subject: Erroneous path names for VAX files
To: ALAN::SLUG@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 08:41 PST
From: tomh <tomh@OLLIE>
To: slug@OLLIE
Character-Type-Mappings: (1 0 (NIL 0) (NIL :ROMAN NIL) "CPTFONT")
Fonts: CPTFONT, CPTFONT

I am having a problem when accessing files on a VAX from a Symbolics
(3640 and 3620).  It's hard to remember the names of files and I would
like to use the *Menu of Completions* option after I type the path name.
Here is where the problem surfaces:

If I type the VMS path name (for example, after doing Control-x
Control-f in the editor)

	1Host:Volume:[Directory0]

or even just

	Host:Volume:

and click right to obtain the Menu of Completions, the list
that appears in the pop-up menu is of the form

	Host:Filename.

Then, a "bad device" error occurs if one of the list items is selected.
If I type the entire path name, complete with a specific file name, it
works fine and I can read the file.

Has anyone else seen this problem before?  Is there a fix?

Thanks

Tom Hopkins