Default :ELEMENT-TYPE for OPEN (Documentation Bug)

    Date: Tue, 23 Jan 90 14:59 PST
    From: Stephen Nicoud <snicoud@atc.boeing.com>
    CLtL
CLtL is not the relevant document here.

	 and the Symbolics manual "Reference Guide to Streams, Files, and
    IO" (Manual 5, Genera 7.2) say that 'STRING-CHAR is the default for
    OPEN.

If you do Show Documentation Open in either 7.2 or 7.4 you will get
the correct documentation.

I couldn't find a hardcopy Vol 5 for my earlier reply to Keith Price.
Indeed, the hardcopy documentation is incorrect, and the online record
File-Opening Options is incorrect.  Also, the online record File-Opening
Options contains many references to symbols such as ZL-USER:STRING-CHAR
and ZL-USER:WRITE-CHAR which should be corrected.

I'm not sure I understand the relationship between the online and the
printed document.  I note that the printed document has these problems
both on page 131 and on page 144.