Using Dired and FsEdit on non-lispm files

When I try to FsEdit or Dired a directory on an Ultrix
host, if the directory that I am editting has sub-directories,
the files in the subdirectories (and so on recursively) appear
in the editor as being in the specified directory. If you then
try a file operation on  a file that is not truly a child of the
directory being edited, then you get an error that the
file was not found. Do I need some magic flag somewhere to
make this work right, or is this just a basic incompatability
that one learns to live with.
Strip
drstrip@sandia.gov