MacIIcx--->MacIvory

    Date: Tue, 6 Feb 90 09:49 PST
    From: DE@PHOENIX.SCH.Symbolics.COM (Doug Evans)

	Date: Tue, 6 Feb 90 07:41 EST
	From: theo@fungus.mit.edu (Theodoros Kritikos)

	Does anyone know if two expansion slots of a MacIIcx are enough for the
	Ivory board and the memory expansion board? (I heard that in a MacIIx
	they take up three slots; I need the third and last slot of the IIcx for
	the video card).  Any other problems associated with configuring a
	MacIIcx as a MacIvory?
						Thanks in advance
						    Theo.

    This is indeed a win.  Due to the locations of internal partitions in the Mac
    IIcx case, there is enough room to install the MacIvory board set in the third
    rightmost slot in the case, without covering up a slot.  This leaves both the
    other slots available for an expansion memory card (both the NS 8MB card and
    the NS 16MB card set will fit) and a video card.  Obviously, this will have to
    be a standalone system as there is no slot for a network card.
I've heard rumors of Ethernet interfaces which plug into SCSI.  Palter says that
depending upon how the driver for such a card interfaces to MacOS, we may be able
to use it without any modifications to our code.
								    Symbolics
    Engineering in Chatsworth brought a Mac IIcx up via normal procedures without
    any special problems.

    Note that MacIvory is not currently qualified for the Mac IIci until we
    complete support for Apple's 7.0 Mac software.