Statice/CLOS integration.

    Date: Mon, 12 Feb 90 20:22 EST
    From: sgr@ai.ai.mit.edu (Stephen G. Rowley)

	Date: Fri, 9 Feb 90 16:46:52 CST
	From: "RDP%ALAN.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com"%ALAN.kahuna.DECNET.LOCKHEED.COM@Warbucks.AI.SRI.COM

	[It seemed like others on the SLUG list might be interested in this conversation.
	Symbolics developers are particularly invited to jump in. :-) ]

    [How 'bout a Symbolics developer on leave? :-]

	Here's a specific example:

	I want to store objects of type 'FOO in a Statice database.  One way or
	another (typically with FOR-EACH), I'll retrieve these objects.  What
	I'll really get back are entity handles (which are Flavor instances
	*not* CLOS instances).  Thus, a CLOS method which takes an argument of
	type 'FOO won't work.

    If by "CLOS method" you mean something like PCL, you're right: PCL and
    flavors are not the same thing.  If that's your problem, it has little
    to do with Statice, but a lot to do with the fact that PCL is not
    "native" to the rest of the system.  When you get a Genera release that
    includes both CLOS and Statice, this will no longer be an issue.

This will not be true in Release 8.0.  Just as PCL and Flavors are not
the same thing, CLOS and Flavors are not the same thing, although they
do tolerate each other.  We are very much aware that this is a problem
for Statice users, but we are still concentrating work on things which
are problems for all CLOS users (such as correctness and performance).