Genera 8.0 Announcement

    Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 00:59 CST
    From: Cohen@MCC.COM (Richard M. Cohen)

	Date: 2 Mar 90 15:57:00 GMT
	From: groberts@yukon.scrc.symbolics.com, jr@yukon.scrc.symbolics.com

	This letter went out in hardcopy to all customers this week. The sales
	reps also received this letter. If you have questions, please address
	them to your sales rep, Gary Roberts, or Johanna Rothman.

	----

	Dear Symbolics Owner,

	Customers eligible for Genera 8.0 will receive distribution media, an
	initial documentation set, and one extra documentation set for each
	additional five covered systems at a site.

    In the brouhaha the new restrictions on software distribution, perhaps
    this additional policy change got overlooked.  Apparently we no longer
    get a set of documentation for each machine under software maintenance!
    Do we even get one set of release notes per machine?  Do we get the
    right the duplicate the documentation for the other machines under
    software maintenance?

    Symbolics tried to pull a similar stunt back at Release 5, claiming that
    they would only distribute one set of documentation per site.  The
    policy was very short-lived.

    -- Rich

I see this as yet another symbolics-cant-keep-track-of-any-per-customer-specific-information
issue.  In the past we have asked Symbolics for fewer copies of documentation because we didn't
need a one-to-one ratio of docs to machines.  Given the new policy, we will need extra copies.
Why can't we (through our sales reps) tell Symbolics how many copies we would like, up to
the number of machines we have on support?  Is it too much to ask that Symbolics pay particular
attention to the needs of each of its customers?  It is not like there are that many of us out
here.

Pat Kerpan
O'Connor and Assoc.
Chicago, IL.