sync-link gateways.

I've been trying for awhile to get a sync-link going between 2 sites.
Originally I thought that there may be a problem with the namespace
stuff because I couldn't get the namespace servers to find the other
site.  I then noticed that there was a fairly high crc error rate for
the sync-link hosts.  So now I'm thinking that there may be a problem
with our leased-line.  Has anyone out there used the sync-link stuff yet
that might be able to help out?  I have communicated with
customer-reports already but I need all the help I can get.

Does anyone out there have experience with setting up this sort of thing
in general?  We have a 3002 data channel phone line and I'm using 2
T2500 Telebit modems at either end operating synchronously at 9600 baud.
Is our phone line lacking in some sort of conditioning or something?
Should the baud rate on the modems be set lower?

Here's some bits on our gateway machines.  Subnet 3 is the sync-link.
Should the crc error rate have a fatal affect on the network or should
it just slow things down?

(zl:hostat #o1402)
Chaosnet host status report.  Type Control-Abort to quit.
Site   Name/Status              Subnet     #-in    #-out   abort    lost     crc ram bitc other
1402   PUNKY-BREWSTER                3      590     3129      16       0      33   0    0    19
                                     1     8737     9113       0       0       0   0    0     0
        (zl:hostat #o1401)
Chaosnet host status report.  Type Control-Abort to quit.
Site   Name/Status              Subnet     #-in    #-out   abort    lost     crc ram bitc other
1401   Swamp                         3     9696     1282     124       0     206   0    0   839
                                     1   300142     5922       0       0       0   0    0     0

Thanks,
 --Mark Alexander