SLUG-90 Announcement - formatted

                                  SLUG-90

    Sixth Annual International Symbolics Lisp Users Group Conference

                             June 18 - 22, 1990

                                  Hosted by
             The Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics
                              Stanford University
                                 Stanford, CA

       Preliminary program and pre-registration form

          Sixth Annual International Symbolics Lisp Users Group Conference

             Developing and Delivering Applications

       Last year, over 150 users met in Boston with Symbolics management
       and developers to share experiences and hear about Symbolics'
       technology, product and business plans. This year, SLUG-90 will
       include tutorials by Symbolics' Educational Services, technical
       sessions, Birds-of-a-Feather sessions, formal presentations by
       Symbolics developers, presentations by Symbolics management, and
       many opportunities for informal discussions with representatives of
       all facets of Symbolics management.

       Symbolics has recently announced details "Focus on Five", its new
       product and corporate strategy to maintain price performance
       leadership, support application portability, and broaden its markets.
       Top Symbolics management, including Jay Wurts (President and CEO),
       Ken Tarpey, Ken Sinclair, and Johanna Rothman will be on hand to
       discuss the strategy and its implications. Prominent Symbolics
       developers, such as David Moon, Kent Pitman, and Scott McKay will
       discuss the forthcoming release of Genera 8.0 and the future of
       Genera, including CLOS and CLIM.

       The theme of this year's conference is "Developing and Delivering
       Applications" - using the tools provided by Genera to build
       application software while addressing the following constraints:

       INTERFACES
             What are the right tools to use to ensure that the programmer
             and user interfaces are optimal?

       MAINTENANCE and PERFORMANCE
             What effects will using a particular tool have on
             maintainability, extensibility, and performance tuning?

       PORTABILITY
             How can we make the application available to the user, and
             what tools exist to ensure this can be accomplished?

       EXTENSIONS
             How can we take advantage of Symbolics' extensions to Genera
             (for example, Statice, Joshua, and Concordia), given the above
             constraints?

       This year, the focus is on tools we can use to (1) develop better
       systems faster than we could before, and (2) deliver these
       applications in a variety of environments. Symbolics has given us
       some solutions in both of these areas, such as CLOE and
       Ivory-embeds: what other paths have been used successfully and at
       what cost? In particular, we'll try to address the question of how we
       can develop an application in Genera for delivery in different
       environments, while sacrificing as few of Genera's developmental
       advantages (and layered products) as possible.

       Please join us in what promises to be a lively and informative week
       at Stanford!

       Proposed tutorials include:
       o  An Introduction to CLOS for Flavors programmers
          Sixth Annual International Symbolics Lisp Users Group Conference
       o  CLIM: Theory and Practice
       o  Programming for portability using Genera, CLOS, and CLIM

       Proposed conference sessions include:
       o  Case Studies of Using Concordia
       o  Databases: Integrating and Using from Lisp/Genera
       o  Debugging Techniques of Sophisticated Users
       o  Delivering Applications: Tips from Consultants
       o  Future of Genera
       o  Introducing the XL1200
       o  Lisp Myths and Misconceptions
       o  Performance: Pitfalls and Tuning
       o  Site Maintenance Strategies, Tools, and Configurations
       o  State of Lisp
       o  State of Software Support
       o  State of Symbolics and the Focus-on-Five Corporate Strategy
       o  Symbolics Delivery Solutions
       o  Unix-Genera communications and integration (including RPC and X)
       o  Users' View of Genera: Likes, Needs, and Our View of the Future
       o  Using CLOE: Comments, Advise, and Experiences
       o  Using Genera to Develop Portable Applications: Successes and
         Advise
       o  ZMACS: extensions, modifications, and how to do it

       Proposed Birds-of-a-Feather sessions include:
       o  Consultants SIG
       o  Justifying Buying/Using Lispms
       o  New and Old DIALNET Users
       o  Object-Oriented Design
       o  Policies and Approaches to Hardware and Software Maintenance
       o  Site Manager's SIG
       o  Tools for the Security Conscious

       A machine room will be available throughout the conference. Machines
       can be used for demonstrations, swapping software, hacking, etc.

                                     Dates

            CLOS Tutorial                    Monday, June 18, 8am-12pm.
            CLIM Tutorial                    Monday, June 18, 1pm-5pm.
            Portability Tutorial               Tuesday, June 19, 8am-5pm.
            Symbolics sponsored reception   Tuesday, June 19, 5:30pm.
            Conference begins               Wednesday, June 20, 9am.
            SLUG sponsored reception        Thursday, June 21, 7:30pm.
            Conference ends                 Friday, June 22, 3:30pm.

                                   Location

       The 1990 Conference will take place at Stanford University in the
       midst of its Centennial Celebration. Located on the San Francisco
       Peninsula, Stanford offers outstanding facilities, reliably excellent
       weather, and easy access to San Francisco (30 miles to the north),
       the coast (10 miles west), with redwoods, wine country, Santa Cruz,
       Monterey, and Carmel not much farther away.

                               Registration fees

                              Tutorial          1-day      3-day
                              (half/full day)    conference
        conference

       Advance registration    95/190           n/a         120

       Late registration        115/230          75          150

       Students                75/150           20          55

                            Conference organizers

       Chairman

             Richard Billington
             Georgia Tech/School of ICS
             Atlanta, GA 30332-0280
             404/894-3227  FAX: 404/853-9378
             Email: SLUG90@ai.sri.com

       Registration

             Shelanski Associates
             701 Market St., Suite 2000
             Philadelphia, PA 19106
             215/922-5757  FAX: 215/625-9037

       Additional information on lodging, parking, room locations, etc. will
       be included with registration materials. Contact Shelanski Associates
       regarding registration. Contact Richard Billington with comments and
       suggestions on conference agenda.

          Sixth Annual International Symbolics Lisp Users Group Conference
                            Pre-registration Form

       Send no money now. Use this form to request final registration
       materials.

       Name:________________________________________________

       Company:_____________________________________________

       Address:______________________________________________

       City:_________________________________________________ State:__________

       Country:___________________________________________ Zipcode:___________

       Phone:______________________________ FAX:_____________________________

       Email:________________________________________________

       ___ I'm interested in dormitory housing (less than $25/single/night)

       There are several inexpensive hotels near campus.

       I'm interested in attending the following tutorials:

       ___ An Introduction to CLOS for Flavors programmers (1/2 day)
       ___ CLIM: Theory and Practice (1/2 day)
       ___ Programming for Portability (full day)

       Briefly, what do you expect to get out of the tutorials you're
       interested in:

       ___ I'm interested in attending the conference sessions.
       ___ Sessions I'd like to see & what I'd like to get out of them

       ___ I would like to make a technical presentation on:
       Development tools or techniques

       A successfully delivered application

       Other technical issue