TCP password request timeout

Anybody know anything about the following?

I'm using tcp and compiling a bunch of source files which reside on a
remote (unix) machine.  At the beginning of the compile operation, I am
prompted for my password, which I can understand, but then several times
throughout the compiling of the system I am again and again asked for my
password.  It seems as if there is some sort of a timeout or something, as
it doesn't ask each time it gets a new file.  Any idea on how I can change
this behavior?  It would be nice for it to at least wait for a bit longer
before rerequesting the password.

monty