Raster image to file

    Date: Wed, 9 May 90 15:11 EDT
    From: davel@whutt.att.com

    I have no doubt that this has been asked before, but I don't know the
    answer and I thought someone out there would.  I would like to dump
    a color screen to a file in a way analogous to <function-Q>.  I would
    be happy with any format which could then be redisplayed, but I would
    need a description of the format (the files may be displayed on an X
    server).  Could someone explain how to do this or send the code
    necessary?

    Thanks

    David Loewenstern
    AT&T Bell Laboratories
    14B-253
    Whippany, NJ 07981
    email: davel@whutt.att.com || whutt!davel
    at&t: 201-386-6516

Here is some info that might be helpful, but certainly not complete.....  I
think the S-Color, and S-Utilities (layered products from Symblics) have what
you want.  So, you can do stuff that dumps out screens in IMAN format, and that
is explained in their documentation.  Also, they have written a utility called
S-Convert, that I used to convert a screen image to Turevision format.  Software
on our Sun's is able to convert from Truevision to a bunch of other format's
including X .  The software for converting between different bitmap formats is
called PBM for Portable Bitmap.  Monty Kosma (Kosma@alan.decnet.lockheed.com)
got that software from somewhere, and it is on one of our Sun's.  You'll have to
ask him how to get a copy of this Unix based bitmap conversion code if you're
interested.