Re: Storing lispm files on Unix boxes vs Unix

    Date: Tue, 5 Jun 90 14:15 EDT
    From: barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin)

    But I think Mabry only wants to protect the files in his Symbolics
    source hierarchies, not everywhere.  Ordinary backup files should
    probably still be deleted by his scavenger.  Also, the above will cause
    confusion if the same file is edited by Zmacs and GNU Emacs, since Emacs
    uses the tildes in its backup filenames as well; you'd like them to use
    the same version number sequence (although there's already some skew
    because the Lispm doesn't create the foo~ file).

    One thing you could do is change your deletion program to check whether
    there's an unnumbered version of the file; e.g., only delete foo.~*~ if
    foo exists.  This will delete true backup files, but in SCT hierarchies
    all the files have explicit version numbers.

The easiest way I have found to do this is if one is using "find" to delete
one's files, change command lines that look like this:

  find / -name '*~' -exec rm -f {} \;

to this:

  find / \( -name '*.sct' -prune \) -o -name '*~' -exec rm -f {} \;

    You could also keep the Symbolics sources on a dedicated file system,
    and not run the backup file deleter on that file system.

						    barmar