Re: OK, so I have a package reference in my init file...

What I do for cases like this is something like

(when (find-package 'EOM)
  (funcall (find-symbol 'compress 'EOM)))

This is reproduced from memory, I might be wrong about
small details like e.g. does find-symbol take a string
or a symbol and so on.  It's not very pretty, a better
solution would be a readmacro that did the same thing.

If you have been thoughtful enough to designate a "feature"
for each package, then you can use #+ of course.