Copy Bug Reports to SLUG? (was Re: problem with ux400)

    Date: Fri, 29 Jun 90 10:21 EST
    From: Len%AIP1%TSD%atc.bendix.com@RELAY.CS.NET

    Date: Fri, 29 Jun 90 10:19 EDT
    From: Len Moskowitz <Len@HEART-OF-GOLD>
    Subject: Copy Bug Reports to SLUG? (was Re: problem with ux400)
    To: "3077::IN%\"SLUG@warbucks.ai.sri.COM\""@TSD1

    Chuck Fry writes:

    [......]

    You pre-suppose that all SLUG readers have current maintenance
    contracts.  Here at Bendix we don't, though we used to.  These days we
    buy what we need when we need it.  In general we don't go to Symbolics
    with any but the very worst problems -- it simply costs too much.  Since
    we don't have the freedom to call Symbolics with every little problem,
    it'd be real helpful to see what kinds of problems others are having.
    There are fixes out there that we'll never see (or perhaps see very late
    in an ECO tape) simply because we're not plugged into the Symbolics
    support system.  SLUG could (should?) fill in that gap.

I'd have to disagree, especially when you talk about: 1There are fixes out there
that we'll never see (or perhaps see very late in an ECO tape) simply because
we're not plugged into the Symbolics support system.0  I think what you are
asking for is an easy, FREE, way to get at the information that in many cases
originates from Symbolics to PAYING software support customers.  What you are
doing is raising the cost of software support to me, by getting some of the
benefits, but not paying for your share.  Of course, I understand that some of
the help originates from other users, and we all do try to supplement the help
from Symbolics in that respect.  But, I don't want this SLUG mailing list to
"fill in that gap" of those "not plugged in..", but of course, I have no
objection to non-software support folks creating another mailing list (that I
might one day need to join also :-). )

    I wonder how many of us are in my situation?  I suspect that our numbers
    are growing.