What to go to SLUG vs software-support

    Date: Fri, 29 Jun 90 09:38 EDT
    From: pan@athena.pangaro.dialnet.symbolics.com (Paul Pangaro)
    Hey, consider the situation: I have a problem that is holding me up. I
    send to custom-reports. They (you)are busy guys, it takes a bit to get
    response. Meantime I am hung. I send something to slug; in 15 minutes I
    am getting work arounds, etc. Fact is that users have practical
    experience with a lot of stuff (eg marginal disk operations on old
    machines, which generated a *very* useful flood of utilties and info for
    me recently); why should I give that up. I dont want to seem ungrateful,
    but I dont think I need to protect your feelings that you are not being
    given a chance. The stuff that I expect from customer-reports is more
    thought out, more "official", etc. There are advantages to both.

Agreed.  My objection is not to all sending of bug reports to slug.
I was objecting to the proposal to send *ALL* bug reports to slug.
If hundreds of people stopped showing discretion about what bugs to
send to hundreds of people, it would be disasterous.

I think that out of respect for the time of hundreds of people,
bug reports should only be sent to SLUG when the either the bug
or its likely solution is likely to be of interest to the readership
of SLUG, or if you've exhausted other viable paths and its importance
to you is worth "bugging" hundreds of people in search of help.
("Viable" could refer to speediness in the case of urgent questions).

This is really just large mailing-list courtesy, and I think people
are mostly already trying to follow their own interpretation of a
code similar to what I suggest above.  I don't see a need to change
this.