What to go to SLUG vs software-support

    Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 08:40 PDT
    From: Chucko@CHARON.arc.nasa.gov (Charles R. Fry)

      Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 17:39 EDT
      From: RWK@FUJI.ILA.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM (Robert W. Kerns)

	Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 08:58 EDT
	From: Len Moskowitz <Len@HEART-OF-GOLD>
	I find it very helpful to see other's problem reports, if only for
	information purposes.  If someone wants to respond, great.  If not the
	only thing lost is net bandwidth.  I'd like to see all problem reports
	copied to SLUG.

      No!  You'll also lose at least *THIS* reader.  I don't have time to
[...]
    As a former staffer for Software Support, it used to irk me to see bug
    reports copied to SLUG, because it suggests that you don't have
    confidence in Symbolics' ability to solve their own problems.  At least
    give them a chance to fix the problem before you publicize it to the
    users' group!
[...]

Hey, consider the situation: I have a problem that is holding me up. I
send to custom-reports. They (you)are busy guys, it takes a bit to get
response. Meantime I am hung. I send something to slug; in 15 minutes I
am getting work arounds, etc. Fact is that users have practical
experience with a lot of stuff (eg marginal disk operations on old
machines, which generated a *very* useful flood of utilties and info for
me recently); why should I give that up. I dont want to seem ungrateful,
but I dont think I need to protect your feelings that you are not being
given a chance. The stuff that I expect from customer-reports is more
thought out, more "official", etc. There are advantages to both.
[...]

     -- Chucko

Best,
PANgaro