Xl1200 as x server

    Date: Thu, 2 Aug 90 14:23 EDT
    From: miller@GEM.cam.nist.gov (Bruce R. Miller)

	Date: Thu, 2 Aug 90 10:06 EDT
	From: SWM@SAPSUCKER.SCRC.Symbolics.COM (Scott McKay)

	    Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 12:20:37 EDT
	    From: bart@nynexst.com (Bart Burns)

	    We are interested in running Genera applications via x windows on
	    hostile platforms, using xl1200s as "Genera servers" .  Anybody out
	    ther doing this?

	We were showing exactly this capability at AAAI, in the form of a
	SPARCstation 1 networked to a MacIvory using X.  It was surprisingly
	usable, much better than I would have thought.  When we connected to
	the XL1200, it was about as good as a local console (except for the
	Sun keyboard, of course :-).

    Just how does  this work  (for the  X naive)?   Can you  run pretty much
    anything on the  lispm? Or  does it  have to  be rewritten  for X  (like
    applications running  on  hostile  platforms)?   Or  does  it have to be
    otherwise X `compatible' in some fashion?  If not all apps can run,  can
    you give a brief idea of what can & cant?

On the console of the SPARCstation, we were running DocEx, Zmail, etc.
It all just works.

    In particular can Macsyma be run (and get graphics and stuff)?  This
    would be a good argument for spending some money on this.

I presume it will work.

    And, since you only mentioned Ivories; How does it do with a lowly 3640?

The slower the machine, the slower the response, just like everywhere
else.  (If you really want to save money, trade your 3640 in for an
XL1200, and then share the XL1200 among several users.  I know that this
will not work very well for Macsyma, but it might work pretty well for
more modern applications.)

    Finally, rumor had it that in previous incarnations the X client (or was it the
    server?) was fairly buggy.  Is the 8.0 version better?

Lots of time and effort were spent making all of this stuff work
properly so that the UX400S could be made to work.  It works very well
these days.