[s9274%srl1@Warbucks.ai.sri.com: short request re: etiquette]

Date: Fri, 3 Aug 90 10:26:13 MDT
From: s9274%srl1@Warbucks.ai.sri.com
To: "slug%warbucks.ai.sri.com"@Warbucks.ai.sri.com, %BETA@Warbucks.ai.sri.com
Subject: short request re: etiquette

For the benefit of those of us saddled with deficient mail software,
could we all take time to attach a "signature" to our messages?

John Krieger
Westinghouse Savannah River Company
-------

If you have a mail system so broken it can't generate a valid return
address, then your mail system is hopeless.  Fix it, don't ask us to
accomodate for it.  (In other words, your FROM: address arrived as
"s9274@srl1" on an Internet machine.  That is an invalid address.  You
may prefer to blame your gateway (beta.lanl.gov??).  Of course, your
"signature" didn't help!)

I wonder how many dollars a day are spent transmitting the "cute"
sayings and duplicate addresses in signatures?  And how much
disk storage do they take up needlessly?  Often they are twice as
large as the content of the message.

This is the second invalid address that came from a Unix system (well,
UUCP) that I've had to deal with in the past 24 hours.  (The other
was also invalid on UUCP as well as on the Internet.)

-------