Postscript

    Date: Tue 28 Aug 90 20:45:13-PST
    From: Ari Kornfeld <ARI@VAXJO.ISL.SRI.COM>

       You had suggested that it defines a posscript function (once).
    Instead the program sends the entire print-spec over each time it
    moves the viewport.  Although this works, it is extremely inefficient.
    The print file I generate eats up around 6MB+ and takes an awfully long
    time to print (Longer than bitmap??)

That's what I get for trying to read the code instead of looking at the
output.  Now that I know what it's actually doing I've figured out how
the code does it.

      Is this a G7.2 problem that has been solved in later versions of
    Genera?  (Not that it helps me).  Is there anyway to work around this
    problem?...A patch for the printer system perhaps?...A different
    function to use?

I fooled around with this stuff this afternoon, and it looks like it
shouldn't be too hard to do.  I got it to download the graphic as a
function definition in the Postscript prologue, but when I send it to
the printer it (the printer) complains of a stack overflow.

If anyone, including Symbolics, would like to try to debug this further,
let me know and I'll send you the patches.

       Incidentally, the dw:do-redisplay function failed to print the entire
    graphic.  I don't know why.

    P.S.  The method:  :WITH-PAGES-FOR-BOX takes the arguments:
	 CONTINUATION XSTREAM RIGHT BOTTOM
      What is XSTREAM?  I bound it to stream (which is the same as the
    flavor to which I'm sending it) and that seems to work, but I can't
    imagine that that is the correct usage.

Yes, it's OK.  In some cases you send the message to an indirect stream
(e.g. a HARDCOPY-UPSIDE-DOWN-STREAM) and XSTREAM would be the original
stream, or maybe it's vice versa.
                                                barmar