mailer storing RMAIL on UNIX

    Date: Wed, 5 Sep 90 12:47 EDT
    From: barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin)

	Date: Wed, 5 Sep 90 09:59 EDT
	From: jclose@potomac.ads.com (J. Jeffrey Close)

	I store my mail in RMAIL format on a UNIX machine, and my incoming mail
	goes in inbox, as usual.  However, I'd like to be able to read and update
	the mail file from the LISPM where I spend most of the time (the stuff's
	on the UNIX box for several other reasons).

	The Mailer won't let one select RMAIL as a mail storage format for UNIX
	machines, so I need a fix.  I can think of a couple of quick but dirty
	hacks, and before looking into it more I'm wondering if there is an
	accepted way to address this that I've missed, or an existing hack.
	Any help is appreciated...

    Zmail supports Babyl format, which is almost identical to RMAIL format.
    GNU Emacs RMAIL can be made to use Babyl format by putting

Alternatively, you can use the RMAIL file format by means of a simple
patch.  To avoid any violation of the copyright, I'll tell you how you
can figure out the patch:

The available  mail file formats for a host are determined
by the return value of the (flavors) generic function
ZWEI:NATIVE-MAIL-FILE-FORMATS.  The flavor that this
needs to live on is called FS:UNIX-MAILBOX-PATHNAME-MIXIN.
It returns a list of mail buffer flavors.  In addition to
the list it presently returns (which is constant), it needs
to return ZWEI:RMAIL-BUFFER.