Column Region Marking Mode?

Does anyone know if there is a way to mark a region of text in ZMACS
where the column is as significant as the row?

Currently, marking a region results all text between the two marks being
marked.  I'd like a mode where the only text marked is between the two
marks horizontally and vertically.  This would create a box of sorts.

I remember this feature when I used Wordstar many, many years ago.  I've
always missed it (the feature, not Wordstar).

I've heard that the way in which ZMACS' internal data structures are
built that this sort of operation is not possible.

Any ideas?

Steve
--
Stephen L. Nicoud  <snicoud@atc.boeing.com>  uw-beaver!bcsaic!snicoud
Boeing Advanced Technology Center for Computer Sciences