Q4 results and Japanese agreement

Date: Thu, 6 Sep 90 18:35 EDT
From: Kimberly L.  Cook <cook@RIVERSIDE.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: Q4 results and Japanese agreement
To: SYMBOLICS@RIVERSIDE.SCRC.Symbolics.COM
cc: cook@RIVERSIDE.SCRC.Symbolics.COM

NEWS RELEASE

Contact:	Ronald R. Benanto (617) 221-1045
	        Francis J. Feeney, Jr. (617) 221-1052

			FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SYMBOLICS ANNOUNCES MAJOR DISTRIBUTION AND MANUFACTURING AGREEMENT WITH
JAPANESE CONSORTIUM

BURLINGTON, Mass., September 6, 1990--Symbolics, Inc. (NASDAQ:SMBX), today
announced that it had entered into an agreement with a Japanese consortium,
led by Nichimen Corporation, granting the consortium an exclusive license
in Japan of distribution and manufacturing rights to Symbolics' Ivory
processor-based software and hardware products for a period of five years.
Symbolics received aggregate cash proceeds of $3.9 million in exchange for
the license and related transactions.

Nichimen Corporation, a major Japanese trading company, currently distributes
Symbolics' products in Japan through its subsidiary, Nihon Symbolics Corporation.
Under this agreement, Symbolics will continue to manufacture hardware products
for the consortium on a cost basis, and will furnish new Ivory-based products for
a period of two years.

Symbolics stated that this capital infusion will aid the Company in financing
its future business plans.  Jay Wurts, Symbolics' chairman, chief executive
officer, and president, stated, "This agreement underscores the unique advantage
our technology provides to meet opportunities within today's highly competitive
workstation and graphics markets."

Symbolics, Inc., headquartered in Burlington, Mass., is the leading provider of
symbolic processing hardware and software used in sophisticated applications,
including interactive scheduling and planning, hypertext-based publishing,
computer-aided mathematical computing and HDTV-based graphics imaging and processing.
						# # #
Symbolics and Ivory are trademarks of Symbolics, Inc.

NEWS RELEASE

Contact:	Ronald R. Benanto (617) 221-1045
	        Francis J. Feeney, Jr. (617) 221-1052

			FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SYMBOLICS ANNOUNCES FOURTH QUARTER AND FISCAL 1990 RESULTS

BURLINGTON, Mass., September 6, 1990--Symbolics, Inc. (NASDAQ:SMBX), today
announced a net profit for its quarter ending June 30, 1990 of $115,000, or
less than $.01 per share, compared with a profit of $533,000 or $.02 per
share for the fourth quarter of fiscal 1989.   Revenues for the quarter were
$12,481,000, compared with revenues of $11,333,000 for the previous quarter.
The Company also reported a net loss for fiscal 1990 of $6,177,000 or $.22
per share, compared with a profit of $1,781,000 or $.06 per share for fiscal
1989.  Revenues for the fiscal year were $53,538,000, compared with revenues
of $67,237,000 for the previous fiscal year.

The Company also stated that on August 30, 1990, it had completed an agreement
with a Japanese consortium led by Nichimen Corporation for a five year exclusive
license in Japan of manufacturing and distribution rights to Symbolics' Ivory-based
software and hardware products.  The aggregate cash proceeds to Symbolics from the
license and related transactions was $3.9 million.

Jay Wurts, Symbolics' chairman, chief executive officer, and president, stated,
"Improved results in our fourth fiscal quarter, due primarily to shipments of
both our new high performance workstation and our  graphics products and to the
effect of ongoing cost reduction programs, contributed to our return to profitability
in the fourth quarter.  In light of increasing competition within our workstation
market, the need for continued investment in our graphics business, uncertain
economic conditions and decreased customer capital spending, we continue to seek
outside financing, such as our recent transaction with Nichimen Corporation, to
ensure we have sufficient working capital to complete our strategic plans."

Symbolics, Inc., headquartered in Burlington, Mass., is the leading provider of
symbolic processing hardware and software used in sophisticated applications,
including interactive scheduling and planning, hypertext-based publishing,
computer-aided mathematical computing and HDTV-based graphics imaging and processing.
					  	  # # #
Symbolics and Ivory are trademarks of Symbolics, Inc.

SYMBOLICS, INC.
CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF OPERATIONS

                                       Three Months Ended             Fiscal Year Ended
				          (Unaudited)                             (Audited)
(In thousands, except share	    June 30,        June 30,        June 30,      June 30,
and per share amounts                 1990            1989            1990          1989

Revenues                            $ 12,481        $ 17,165        $ 53,538      $ 67,237
Cost of sales                          5,897           7,508          27,894        29,461

Gross profit                           6,584           9,657          25,644        37,776
Operating expenses:
        Research and development       1,942           2,689           9,232         9,609
	Selling, general &
	administrative                 4,251           6,357          21,662        25,622

Income (loss) from operations            391             611          (5,250)        2,545
Interest expense, net                    153             200             628           528

Income (loss) before provision for
	income taxes                     238             411          (5,878)        2,017
Provision for income taxes               123            (122)            299           236

Net income (loss)                    $   115         $   533         $(6,177)      $ 1,781

Income (loss) per common share       $    --         $   .02         $  (.22)      $   .06

Weighted average number of shares
	of common stock	             27,639,282    28,806,914       27,591,608   27,832,099

  SYMBOLICS, INC.
CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS

                                                     June 30,     June 30,
(In thousands)                                         1990         1989

ASSETS
Current assets:
  Cash and cash equivalents                          $ 2,811     $  8,374
   Accounts receivable                                11,091       15,784
   Inventories                                        12,277       13,958
   Other current assets                                  748        1,401
	Total current assets                          26,927       39,517
Property, plant and equipment                         17,896       25,453
Less accumulated depreciation and amortization        10,515       17,862
Net property, plant and equipment                      7,381        7,591
Capitalized software development costs                 2,811        1,679
Other assets                                           2,395        1,540
                                                     $39,514      $50,327

LIABILITIES AND SHAREHOLDERS' EQUITY
Current liabilities:
	Accounts payable                            $  4,711     $  5,538
	Deferred revenues                              4,375        3,694
	Current portion of long-term debt                612          792
	Accrued costs of corporate restructuring         828        2,816
	Other current liabilities                      5,039        6,870
	Total current liabilities                     15,565       19,710
Long-term debt                                           416          566
Accrued costs of corporate restructuring               6,548        7,296
Shareholders' equity                                  16,985       22,755
                                                     $39,514      $50,327