Recent questions about CLOS

    Date: Mon, 17 Sep 1990 11:24-0400
    From: Moon@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM (David A. Moon)

    I think this is really a "you tell me" situation.  Customers should let us
    know what their priorities are for CLOS.

I'd like to see an accessor call within a method sped up to approach the
efficiency of the corresponding slot access whenever no other methods
are applicable.  Programmers could then, if they wish, use accessors
ubiquitously without penalty, reserving SLOT-VALUE (and WITH-SLOTS) for
the presumably rare need to bypass the method combination mechanism.

I'd also like to see calls to a generic function having only a single,
unspecialized method sped up to approach the efficiency of the
corresponding ordinary function call.  Programmers could then, if they
wish, decide between DEFMETHOD and DEFUN on the basis of behavior (e.g.,
specializability vs. changeability of lambda-list) rather than
performance.

	Lawrence G. Mayka
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	lgm@iexist.att.com