SLUG DIALNET materials

In Genera 8.0 dialnet registries are obsolete.  Instead, domain files
are used, and a tool is provided to perform the initial conversion from
one format to the other.  (see
SYS:DIALNET;CONVERTING-DIALNET-REGISTRIES-TO-DOMAIN-AND-SUBNET-FILES.LISP)
Currently, dialnet registries still load in Genera 8.0 (with a warning),
but this will not continue indefinitely.

The conversion tool writes out a domain file for each of the standard
dialnet registries, and a separate  SYS:SITE;SUBNETS.LISP file.
(which, by the way, is not really a lisp file)
The system administrator must add lines to your site's launch file to point
to the three domain files.
SYS:SITE;SUBNETS.LISP is automatically loaded by
the 8.0 mailer.

An example of SYS:SITE;LAUNCH-DOMAIN-SERVER.TEXT follows:
;;;
;;;
;;; this is standard dialnet:
domain      varian.dialnet.symbolics.com
primary     varian.dialnet.symbolics.com    sys:site;varian-domain.text
;;;
;;;
;;; these used to be the dialnet registries (pre-8.0).  Subnets are loaded automatically
;;; from sys:site;subnets.lisp
primary     dialnet.symbolics.com sys:site;private-dialnet-domain.text
primary     dialnet.symbolics.com sys:site;users-group-dialnet-domain.text
primary     symbolics.com         sys:site;public-dialnet-domain.text
;;;;

After conversion, people are meant to maintain the files in domain file
format (as opposed to maintaining them in registry format and using the
conversion tool each time a change is made).

The following items are now available
from SLUG for people running DIALNET:

(A)- The current SLUG DIALNET user database in domain format (new DIALNET)
(B)- The current SLUG DIALNET user database in registry format. (old DIALNET)
(C)- A Symbolics fix for an error that occurs when loading DIALNET REGISTRIES into
    8.0 (DIALNET domain files load without problems)
(D)- A SLUG DIALNET patch that enables messages addressed to internet domains
    to be automatically routed to an internet host for forwarding.
    i.e, you can address your messages "user@somehost.somedomain.com" instead
    of "user%somehost.somedomain.com@riverside.scrc.symbolics.com" .
    The patch works in 8.0, and probably in 7.2

Please indicate which sets of these items you want by ending your subject line
with the phrase "[slug dialnet set <num>]" (no quotes), where:

[slug dialnet set 1]  This is appropriate for people who will be running
Dialnet in Genera 8.0 using domain files for the dialnet database.
It includes items (A), (C) and (D).  This is the preferred dialnet operation.

[slug dialnet set 2]  This is appropriate for people who will be running
Dialnet in Genera 7.* using registries for the dialnet database.
It includes items (B) and (D).  This is for people who haven't yet
converted to 8.0.

[slug dialnet set 3]
All four items, (A) (B) (C) (D)

WARNING: The Genera 8.0 on-line documentation for DIALNET is incorrect.
It describes the obsolete registry system rather than the new dialnet
domain system.   The hardcopy
domumentation (see SITE OPERATIONS) seems to be substantially correct,
although note that the example launch file on p.303 of the hard-copy
SITE OPERATIONS has dialnet entries rather than the correct domain
files.

Regards,
Joe Karnicky
<JFK@BOLD-EAFrom IU.AI.SRI.COM!Warbucks.AI.SRI.COM!slug-admin Mon Sep 17 17:24:12 1990