Color Text on CAD Buffer II

It seems like a simple request: I want to output lines of text in different colors,
depending on their importance to the user: red for critical, yellow for important, etc.

However the color documentation is a maze of non-indexed, elliptical stuff about ALUs,
char-alus, sc-fill-alus and so forth. I have played around for half an hour but without
seeming to get anywhere, and certainly not with colored text. If I had time, I too could
become expert at it, but instead I ask the experts: anyone have a simple way to do
multi- or vary-colored text, without blowing away the usual background/foreground colors?
Thanks.