Bit vectors vs. fixnums

I have an application in which I want to implement a set of boolean
properties as a "array" of bits. I am doing this to minimize the
memory consumed.

I am stuck between using bit vectors or fixnums in my implementation.
Bit vectors seem "conceptually" appropriate, but do they eat more
memory than a fixnum of the same size as allocated by SCL? And are the
bit vector bit-manipulation functions more or less efficient than
the fixnum bit-manipulation functions? On the other hand, is one
implementation more flexible than the other?

	Thanx in advance,

	Len Charest