Postscript printer on net (again)

    Date: Thu, 4 Oct 90 12:22:05 MDT
    From: drstrip@cs.sandia.gov (David R Strip [1411])

    The postscript printer I am talking about accepts ftp connections on the
    e-net. All that I want to do is be able to copy files from the symbolics
    to the printer, with a translation to postscript (if appropriate) done
    in the process. I can live without nice spooling behavior, etc. Is this
    easy?

Assuming that FTP means TCP FTP, and that the FTP server in the printer
obeys enough of the TCP FTP protocol to satisfy Genera, define it as a
file server host.  Then define a PostScript printer that spools to a
file on that host.

Something like the following

HOST THE-HOST
SERVICE FILE TCP TCP-FTP	;Or TFTP if that's what it is
SPOOLED-PRINTER THE-PRINTER SPOOL-VIA ASCII-FILE FILE-NAME THE-HOST:foo.ps	;Need to supply filename syntax that it likes
ADDRESS INTERNET 1.2.3.4
SYSTEM-TYPE PRINTER
MACHINE-TYPE ACME-PRINTER
SITE THE-SITE

PRINTER THE-PRINTER
USER-PROPERTY DEFAULT-PRINT-BACKWARDS NIL	;Modern PostScript printers collate or reverse in software
INTERFACE FILE
PRETTY-NAME "The Printer"
SITE THE-SITE
TYPE LGP2	;LGP3 or POSTSCRIPT would work for everything but Concordia.