Optimize World and si:full-gc

    Date: Sun, 7 Oct 90 17:51:54 MDT
    From: andreasg@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Andreas Girgensohn)

    I want to avoid that executing "Optimize World" before doing an incremental
    disk save makes the saved world a lot bigger.  I don't know how I have to
    build the parent world (a complete disk save).  Do I have to call both
    si:full-gc and "Optimize World", if yes, in which order?  Is there something
    else that I have to do?

Do a full GC before a complete save, and do an Optimize World before an
incremental save.

    How do I build a complete who-calls database if I intend to do an "Optimize
    World" later?  Do I call si:enable-who-calls with the argument :all,
    :all-remake, or :all-no-make?

There's a bug in the interaction between who-calls and Optimize World,
so you shouldn't do an Optimize World after having enabled the who-calls
DB in the same bootload.  It seems to work, though, if you optimize the
world and then build the who-calls DB.

				   Is it necessary to call
    si:compress-who-calls-database if I execute only "Optimize World" and don't
    call si:full-gc?

I don't think the who-calls DB is automatically compressed by either of
these.

                                                barmar