Modems

    Date: Thu, 1 Nov 90 14:26 PST
    From: JFK@BOLD-EAGLE.varian.dialnet.symbolics.com (Joe F. Karnicky)

	Date: Wed, 31 Oct 90 17:37 CST
	From: cj@GUINEVERE.tamu.edu (Chuan Jun Su)

	Is it possible to use a Hayes compatible?

    I am currently using a Hayes smartmodem 1200 in
    autoanswer mode and it seems to work pretty well
    with the following reservations:

    (1) I had to modify the defmethod (:dial-the-phone hayes-modem) in
    modems.lisp to get my modem to use dial tones rather than pulse dialing.
    I was told how to accomplish this same result by changing the subnets
    patterns, but I forget how to do it.

    (2) Frequently, my system gets into a state where it is not possible for
    me to successfully probe Riverside.   My modem goes off hook, dials,
    Riverside answers, and I see a carrier detect.  However, the carrier is
    then immediately lost.   This seems to be a Riverside-specific problem
    as I can successfully dial up other (non-Symbolics) computers.
    I'm currently working with Symbolics software support on sorting out
    what's going on.
    (any suggestions?)

    Regards,
    Joe

Sorry, no suggestions but, I have noticed the same problem with
Riverside occasionally.  And before we got our sync-link going I noticed
the same problem with the Symbolics mailer at our facility in Idaho.  I
seem to remember chalking it up to some funnies in the :ANSWERER method
but I'm not sure.