Graphical flavor browser...

    Date: Tue, 20 Nov 1990 08:10 EST
    From: cdwilli@algol.cs.umbc.edu (Chris Willianson (Guest of Al))

    A couple of years ago, when I began using Symbolicses, I remember
    seeing a tool that allowed one to look at a flavor tree graphically.
    The name of a flavor would appear at the top of a window; then names
    of its components would appear under it, branching out across the
    screen.  This branching out would continue for each flavor and its
    components until the leaves of the tree were reached.  The tool had
    both horizontal and vertical scrolling, so that one could travel from
    branch to branch of the same tree using the slender, vine-like scroll
    bars.

    I looked in the 8.0 source directory but didn't find the code for this
    tool.  (Maybe it's there, and I didn't see it; I now have to use
    glasses when looking at the screen.)

    Does anyone know about such a tool?

			    Christian Williamson

    "...perseverance, continuously applied, may become genius."
				    Wilfred Funk

I suspect you may be talking about a flavor tree browser that was
available under Release 6.x (i.e., pre-Genera).  That browser
generated a flavor tree and produced a bit blit of the flavor
structure.  To scroll, the user could grab the tree by depressing a
mouse button and "dragging" the tree across the screen.  The browser
also had a small pane displaying a miniature version of the tree with
a small rectangle representing the overall screen display.  Since the
tree was a bit blit, it was *very* fast.

It is my understanding that this browser was never updated to Dynamic
Windows and has not been included with Genera releases.  If you have
an archive of Release 6.x tapes around, you may be able to resurrect
it.  Otherwise, some of the suggestions already submitted to the news
group may suffice.

Good luck,

Al Underbrink
					Huntsville AI Center
E-Mail: al@huntsai.boeing.com		Boeing Computer Services
Phone: 205-461-2820			PO Box 240002, MS JA-74
BTN: 861-2820				Huntsville, AL 35824-6402