1Re: Customer Reports0

    Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 18:42 EST
    From: Barry Margolin <barmar@Think.COM>

	Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 17:20 EST
	From: miller@SOL.CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (Brad Miller)

	    Date: Tue, 04 Dec 90 11:39:02 -0500
	    From: mac@trantor.harris-atd.com

	      Has anyone heard back from Symbolics on why the 8.0.1 flod files don't work
	    on all the machines.

	We had this problem on a 40. We were told the problem is if the new flod
	files are used to create a file on a disk formatted with the old ones, you
	will corrupt something such that during clear memory you get the FEP reset
	(bus error).

    I don't understand this explanation.  Since when can you create files
    from the FEP?  Do you mean Disk Restore'ing an IFS tape?  Other than
    that, the FEP can only write into pre-existing files.

Sorry, I meant to say that if you are running under the new flods and create
a FEP file (e.g. :create fep file, or copying worlds), you will run into
this problem. The work around is to boot under the old flods (it will handle
it fine). Don't ask me why, but it does happen.
----
 Brad Miller		U. Rochester Comp Sci Dept.
 miller@cs.rochester.edu {...allegra!rochester!miller}