Re: Customer Reports

	Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 02:32:14 EST
	To: miller@SOL.CS.ROCHESTER.EDU
	Cc: mac@trantor, slug@ai.sri.com
	Subject: Re: Customer Reports

	   Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 19:12 EST
	   From: Brad Miller <miller@SOL.CS.ROCHESTER.EDU>

	   Sorry, I meant to say that if you are running under the new flods and create
	   a FEP file (e.g. :create fep file, or copying worlds), you will run into
	   this problem. The work around is to boot under the old flods (it will handle
	   it fine). Don't ask me why, but it does happen.

	I had a feeling this is what you meant, but I simply couldn't believe it.
	The FEP is completely out of the loop when Lisp accesses the disk.  Lisp
	operates the I/O board directly.

	I suppose it's possible that a bug (or new feature, e.g. some form of
	cache?) in the new flods is causing them to write to the disk's directory,
	and this is then confusing Lisp when it tries to update the directory,
	resulting in an inconsistent FEP file system.

  This is not the cause of my problem. I have not created any FEP files
while running the 8.0.1 flod files because my machine never boots with
the new flod files! It bombs out in Clear Machine! This happens on our 3600
and two of our 3620s. I haven't tried the 3640 nor the other 3620. Local tech
support says everything works fine for him. He, too, is now scratching his head
and muttering to himself.

  Mike McDonald

  mac@trantor.harris-atd.com
  postmaster@trantor.harris-atd.com