Conversion to ANSI Common Lisp via FUTURE-COMMON-LISP

    Date: Mon, 10 Dec 1990 15:22-0500
    From: Kent M Pitman <KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

    Also, our implementation continues to evolve.  We made for ourselves a
    stub version of the new dialect by filling in parts from SCL.  As more
    parts of the real implementation are filled in, the two dialects may
    seem more different.  (Genera 8.1 will have many more differences
    between the two dialects than Genera 8.0 did, for example.)  We are
    -not- encouraging Genera 8.0 customers to do a conversion to this
    dialect because we are not supporting the package as a whole at this
    time.  CLOS is documented and supported.  FUTURE-COMMON-LISP:SETF, which
    was pretty much needed in for proper integration with CLOS, is also
    documented and also supported.

This is very useful information.  I would point out, though, that the
Genera 8.0 ECO #1 Notes (i.e., the Release Notes for Genera 8.0.1)
claims support for the Common Lisp Condition System as well, despite its
absence in the regular documentation.  Thus, I assume that the Condition
System is basically "safe," too.

	Lawrence G. Mayka
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	lgm@iexist.att.com