Comppiler error printing errors or warnings

    Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 21:55 EST
    From: barmar@Think.COM (Barry Margolin)

	Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 13:31:46 MST
	From: drstrip@cs.sandia.gov (David R Strip )

	The first time that I use the compiler after booting,  I get
	the following error message the first time the compiler hiccups.
	(It would keep giving this message except that I do s-sh-C and
	tell it to store *standard-output* as the value of t.

	What gives?

    Something is doing

    (present <function-name> 'sys:function-spec :stream t ...)

    [...]
    Could you be somehow binding *ERROR-OUTPUT* to T?

    Without the rest of the backtrace, it's hard to tell where it's screwing
    up.

						    barmar

I get an analogous error quite often on my UX's with the culprit being NIL not
T.  I've asked Symbolics about it and they just sent me a patch for something
that might possibly cover this problem as well.  My problem, however, occurs
from the editor, the mail window, etc.  What I'm seeing is that the UX
remembers previous X consoles that no longer exist.  I thought the NIL came
from the cleanup operations setting screen variables to NIL when the consoles
were closed but programs thinking that they really must display on those old
screens rather than the invoking console.  Just a hunch, but David's T makes
it look rather questionable.

Don Mitchell			dmitchell@trc.amoco.com
Amoco Production Company	(918) 660-4270
Tulsa Research Center