Simple Accept Question

    Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 13:40:39+0900
    From: kddlab!harl86.harl.hitachi.co.jp!mklein@uunet.UU.NET (mklein)

    I would like to suppress the echo produced by the "accept" function when
    an item is selected using the mouse. Is there a simple way to do it? I
    Can I rebind *standard-output* to the symbolics equivalent of /dev/null
    (if there is such a thing) for the duration of the accept call? Is there
    another, more straightforward way?

You may want to use the next lower level pieces out of which accept is
built (cf. the "Parsing Objects for Which There is No Character
Representation" example -- ignore the parser part and check out how to
input one of them).

Or, you may really want to have a translator that doesn't echo by using
the :echo option in the return value.

The reason you cannot (and should not) do exactly what you asked for is
that accept is the general mixed mode input interface.  In addition to
mousing, you can type the input.  Typing without echoing would not make
for a very good user interface.  Of course, there are plenty of user
interfaces for which typing isn't reasonable as an alternative.  For
them, one of the alternative techniques mentioned above is more suitable
than plain accept.