Case sensitivity (was: CLtL, cleanups)

    Date: Fri, 4 Jan 91 18:32 EST
    From: Barry Margolin <barmar@Think.COM>

	(loop for code from (char-code #\a) to (char-code #\z)
	      do (set-character-translation (code-char code)))

						    barmar

Thanks; I like that! It's also succinct and can easily be
replaced by the appropriate (setf (readtable-case *readtable*) ..) when
that becomes available.

(Groping in the dark, I did manage to get the readtable compiler to do
it; turns out SYS:IO;RTC mentioned as undocumented in the docex, has
been moved to the skunk works)

The next step is even worse!
  But first a disclaimer; I dont even like the idea of what I'm trying
to do!!!  Its a case of drop it completely or do it this way.

There'll be a package P for this program which uses common-lisp.
I need to be able to read/compile lisp code in which the `real' lisp is
in lower case, any new symbols to be interned (into P) should have thier
case preserved.  Apparently this sort of thing can be
done in allegro cl.  But, of course, on a lispm, the Real `real' lisp
is already interned in Uppercase!

The only thing that comes to mind so far is having to write my own
interner (ugh) which first checks for the uppercase of a string in the used
packages, and if not found, then interns the string as is in the current
package.

I suppose once I've got an appropriately mangled readtable/package/? I
can define a `Syntax' so it all works relatively automatically after
that.

Any suggestions (besides forget it)?

bruce
miller@cam.nist.gov