XL1200 Crashes into FEP

I'm experiencing an XL1200 problem, where (consistently) from some spot
in some code, the system will "crash"; going all the way through the
FEP, just like someone cycled the power. No pause in the debugger or
chance to poke around in the FEP itself -- the machine is gone -- even
the screen crackles like a power reset. The problem is interesting
because it becomes very hard to debug. As it so happens, the same code
will oft times run on a 3600 type machine.

It often seems to happen in code that may be (erroneously) using up the
stack, but that sort of thing used to usually land you in the debugger
for at least a look at where the problem manifested itself. It would
appear that something is no longer as carefully wrapped as it is on the
3600 machines.

I'm curious, if this is a known problem (in which case maybe it can be
characterized, so that I can better avoid or find it)? Has anyone else
had this sort of problem on XL1200s (or other Ivory type machines)?

Ian Bruce