[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: How do I replace primary namespace server?
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 13:22:19 EST
From: email@example.com (John R. Delaney)
In my limited but recent experience, there is no graceful way to change
primary namespace servers. Here is my suggestion approach:
1) Move the namespace files to the XL1200.
2) Make your XL1200 the primary namespace server and the 3645 a secondary
3) Make a new world on the XL1200 so it remembers it is the primary
4) Copy the world in 3) to the 3645 or make a new world there as well
(whatever works; I am unfamiliar with the XL1200)) so it knows that it is
not the primary namespace server.
5) Copy those worlds to all other machines at your site or make new worlds
on them as well so they know the XL1200 is the primary namespace server.
In the interval from the beginning of 2) through the end of 5), be prepared
to use the Set Site command when machines are rebooted on worlds that
remember the 3645 as the primary namespace server.
A much simpler solution is to give the 3645 a new identity and assign its
network address to the XL. You would have to copy any server files (especially
the namespace descriptor files) with services disabled before performing this
brain transplant. I did this at Apple without (much) perturbing a working render
Of course, the XL would come up as Mirth.