TELNET to Unix Emacs

   Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1991 16:04-0500
   From: ptw@JASPER.SCRC.Symbolics.COM (P. T. Withington)

       Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1991 11:50 EST
       From: jclose@potomac.ads.com (Jeff Close)

       Greetings, all.

       I got tired of typing escape-characters to emacs when I terminal to
       unix machines from the LISPM.  This patches the telnet character
       typein filter to convert meta-chars to the sequence ESCAPE-followed-
       by-char.  It has probably appeared here before, but in case not, here
       it is for anyone's use.  Please pardon the length -- it was borderline
       whether to just post a note or include the code.

       Jeffrey

   This functionality has been included in Genera since 8.0, but it depends
   on the setting of your serial line.

TELNET doesn't go over serial lines, it goes over TCP and CHAOS
connections.  These are both 8-bit connections, but many Unix TELNET
servers strip the high-order bit.