Color alternatives on Symbolics

    Date: Thu, 7 Mar 91 10:55 CST
    From: Donald H. Mitchell <dmitchell@trc.amoco.com>

    Using an X terminal, you first start an X window manager on a Sun or other
    host that has X window management software.  Then you start the Symbolics
    console as an X window controlled by that manager.
    The Symbolics does almost nothing (don't flame me) with regard to window
    management and X.  It is just an application not an X server.

My application, however, cannot assume the presence of any non-Symbolics
host; so I would like the Symbolics to host the X terminal itself,
without outside assistance.

Ironically, Symbolics does offer an X server (an X11R4 port, I believe)
for the Genera console, attached to Select-Square.  Perhaps this server
software could be adapted for simple remote X-terminal use?

	Lawrence G. Mayka
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	lgm@iexist.att.com

Standard disclaimer.