2 questions - Art for UX400 / services need login

    Date: Fri, 15 Mar 91 1:11:16 CDT
    From: aihaug@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Daniel A Haug)

    - We are getting close to installing a fielded, operational system
      running on a UX400.  The application is strictly server-based running
      on the board.  The problem is that one cannot invoke a service on
      the machine without someone being logged in.  I suspect that I don't
      have my service defined correctly.  Can anyone help?

Does the server try to open files?  File system functions will only
operate when the machine is logged in, since most file servers require
user identification.  In particular, if this is on a UX400 and it's
using the host's file system, NFS requires user identification so it may
perform access checks.

The easiest way around this is to wrap your server code with
FS:WITH-AUTOMATIC-LOGIN-TO-SYS-HOST.  This arranges for the file system
routines to automatically do "Login lisp-machine" if they try to run
while not logged in; if it had to login automatically it will also
logout automatically when leaving the WITH-AUTOMATIC-LOGIN-TO-SYS-HOST
form.

                                                barmar