accessing unix files under 8.0 (2e)

I mentionned yesterday my difficulty to read unix files from my symbolics
running 8.0. Someone wrote me that this happens because I access them through
symbolic links instead of direct names, which is the case. I verified that
when I use direct names I can read my files again. Unhappily this is not a
very conveninient solution because we have no big Sun server and our files
are spread across several machines. So, does anyone have a solution to access
files through symbolic links?

E. Baechler
baechler@liasun4.epfl.ch