accessing unix files under Genera 8.0

    Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1991 12:46:29 +0000
    From: BAECHLER%eldi.epfl.ch@Warbucks.AI.SRI.COM

    edit file LIASUN4:/users/baechler/toto.lisp
    creates a new empty file instead of editing it
    Copy File LIASUN4:/users/baechler/toto.lisp To Cook:>eb>toto.lisp
    Password ...
    Copying ...
      Could not copy LIASUN4:/users/baechler/toto.lisp
      Error reported by foreign host: file not found
      for LIASUN4:/users/baechler/toto.lisp

    Show directory LIASUN4:/users/baechler/*

    LIASUN4:/users/baechler/*

    0 blocks in 0 files

We seem to have this problem when using FTP to access files in a
symbolically-linked directory - i.e., a "directory" that, on the UN*X
machine, is actually a symbolic link to a directory elsewhere.  Since
all our UN*X login directories (e.g., "/u/lgm/") are symbolic links, we
hit this problem often.  Our workaround is to access only subdirectories
such as "/u/lgm/rje/", or to use the directory's "true"
(disk-drive-based) pathname (e.g., "/s32/lgm/") instead of the link.

	Lawrence G. Mayka
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	lgm@iexist.att.com

Standard disclaimer.