Three Dialnet Questions

    Date: Mon, 6 May 91 12:45 MDT
    From: paul@aegean-sea.dialnet.symbolics.com (Paul Cross)

    1) Is anyone sucessfully using a Hayes-compatible modem for Dialnet?

Sure.  It works, most of the time, in 8.0.  I might have applied a few local
patches to Dialnet to make it work more of the time.  If you have a Symbolics
source license, I can probably send you my changes.

    2) Has anyone updated a file called macterm.lisp, which, combined with a
    file called password.lisp, allows you to login to Symbolics machines
    over the phone?  I think these files were originally authored by Mark
    Tait.  macterm.lisp defines

    uss:(defmethod (input-top-level nbs-console-async-interface) ()

    but the package uss does not exist in 8.0.

Try replacing USS with SERIAL.  There is a SERIAL:INPUT-TOP-LEVEL generic
function in 8.0 (I don't have a copy of macterm.lisp, so I don't know if there
are other changes to make).

    3) Does anyone have a fix so that people who use dialnet get proper
    e-mail return addresses without adding a reply-to field?  I have not yet
    reported it to Symbolics, and it may be fixed in ECOs beyond 8.0.  Note
    how my return address drops the host field.  My return address ought to
    read paul@persephone.aegean-sea.dialnet.symbolics.com but is
    paul@aegean-sea.dialnet.symbolics.com instead.

Some things to look at:

On my machine:
  (send si:*user* :mail-address) => ("rsl" #<FS:LISPM-HOST MAX-FLEISCHER 3302434>)
  (send (second *) :mail-name) => "MAX-FLEISCHER.SF.Dialnet.ILA.COM"

[I'm not sure this matters, but what the heck:]
  (send net:*local-site* :all-mail-addresses-forward) => NIL

If your host's :MAIL-NAME is wrong, you should delete its Internet Domain Name
attribute in the namespace editor (shift-mouse-middle on the item, I think).