Three Dialnet Questions

    Date: Mon, 6 May 91 16:56 PDT
    From: rsl@MAX-FLEISCHER.SF.Dialnet.ILA.COM (Richard Lamson)

	Date: Mon, 6 May 91 12:45 MDT
	From: paul@aegean-sea.dialnet.symbolics.com (Paul Cross)

	1) Is anyone sucessfully using a Hayes-compatible modem for Dialnet?

    Sure.  It works, most of the time, in 8.0.  I might have applied a few local

Good news.

	2) Has anyone updated a file called macterm.lisp, which, combined with a

	uss:(defmethod (input-top-level nbs-console-async-interface) ()

	but the package uss does not exist in 8.0.

    Try replacing USS with SERIAL.  There is a SERIAL:INPUT-TOP-LEVEL generic
    function in 8.0 (I don't have a copy of macterm.lisp, so I don't know if there
    are other changes to make).

Thanks for the suggestion.

	3) Does anyone have a fix so that people who use dialnet get proper
	e-mail return addresses without adding a reply-to field?  I have not yet
	reported it to Symbolics, and it may be fixed in ECOs beyond 8.0.  Note
	how my return address drops the host field.  My return address ought to
	read paul@persephone.aegean-sea.dialnet.symbolics.com but is
	paul@aegean-sea.dialnet.symbolics.com instead.

    Some things to look at:

    On my machine:
      (send si:*user* :mail-address) => ("rsl" #<FS:LISPM-HOST MAX-FLEISCHER 3302434>)
      (send (second *) :mail-name) => "MAX-FLEISCHER.SF.Dialnet.ILA.COM"

    [I'm not sure this matters, but what the heck:]
      (send net:*local-site* :all-mail-addresses-forward) => NIL

    If your host's :MAIL-NAME is wrong, you should delete its Internet Domain Name
    attribute in the namespace editor (shift-mouse-middle on the item, I think).

Removing the host's Internet Domain Name attribute makes
  (send net:*local-host* :mail-name)
return the right thing.  I'll pass this on to fellow Dialnetters who
have been experiencing the same problem.  By your response I'm assuming
that I don't need to specify explicitly an Internet Domain Name
attribute for my domain server to work, since you told me to remove the
attribute rather than correct it.

Thanks for all your help.