printing to networked printer

The u(gh)nix folks have installed a talaris printserver, which supposedly
speaks lpd (works from the u(gh)nix boxes). I created a host and a print
object for it in the namespace, "connected" the printer to the host, and
gave the host hardcopy tcp unix-lpd service. However, when I try to print,
I get

<printer-name> (at Internet address <address>) did not respond to a xxx->515
(:UNIX-LPD) request ...

Any suggestions on how to debug this.

Misc notes - this printer works with lpd from the vaxen. It, and the vaxen, are on
the same subnet.

THanks
drstrip@cs.sandia.gov