36XX disk drive compatibility & cannibalism

    Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1991 13:23-0400
    From: barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin)

    Yes, these are all compatible.  The only incompatible pieces between
    3600's and other L-machines are the I/O board, I/O paddle, and the
    console.

Actually, Barry, the I/O paddle determines what kind of
disk drive a machine can use.  Eagles use the SMD interface.
Both the 3600 and the 3670 use the SMD interface, but not
all of the other models do, and there were various options at
various times, so they're not ALL compatible.

See Moon's reply for why the format differs, even when the
drives are compatible.