lispm's at home

   From: cmaeda@EXXON-VALDEZ.FT.CS.CMU.EDU (Christopher Maeda)
   Date: Sun, 28 Jul 91 15:56:17 EDT

   Now that I-machines and RISC chips have made G-machines only fit for
   home use :-), I was wondering what the cost would be to be able to
   legally run Genera at home.

   Last time I checked, there was a $10k license transfer fee and maybe
   $1-2k per year to keep the license current.  Has Symbolics adjusted
   this pricing structure to reflect market reality yet?

The $11-12K price tag (just so that people can legally use a Symbolics
at home) is not competitive with the Unix workstations that are out
there (and their prices are dropping as we "talk").  Now if they get
rid of the license transfer fee, that would be another matter. :-)

If Symbolics can be competitive in price, there is perhaps some
business potential here for them to remarket their old LISPM models
for the home hackers.

Willie