Genera 8.1 questions

   From: aihaug@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Daniel A Haug)
   Date: Fri, 20 Sep 91 16:22:48 CDT

   I realize that this is probably more appropriate for the customer
   support line, but I'd kinda like to get this done tonight if someone
   answers...

   (1) After installing Genera 8.1, I notice that when I ftp from
       a sun to the symbolics, I get:

       ftp <symbolics>
       Connected to <symbolics>
       421 FTP permission denied to <sun-host>
       ftp>

       Okay, I'm sure I've got something inappropriately configured.
       any hints as to what?

What release are you upgrading from?

I believe Genera uses the Secure Subnets attribute in the site namespace
object to decide whether to allow file transfers.  Prior to Genera 8.0,
lack of a Secure Subnets entry for a particular type of network meant that
all subnets are allowed; in 8.0 it was changed to default to not allowing
any subnets of that network.  Make sure you have an INTERNET entry in your
Secure Subnets list, and that it includes the subnet with your Sun.

   (2) The X users guide says that the "genera" unix program can be
       used to startup the UX boards, but can it also be used to
       initiate a "Start X Screen" on a 3600?

I think it should work, although I haven't tried it (I don't have a UX).
The mechanism that it uses just uses generic RPC over TCP/IP.  You'll have
to load the UX-Support system to get the Lispm side of the protocol (this
system is useful to load for other reasons -- it includes support for the
Unix remote execution and remote tape access protocols).

						barmar