Re: Genera 8.1 CD-ROM Problem

    Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1991 11:22 EDT
    From: miller@SOL.CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (Brad Miller)

	Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1991 19:19 EDT
	From: morse@zephyr.rap.ucar.EDU (Corinne Morse)

	I am attempting to do an initial CD-ROM installation of Genera 8.1 on our
	XL400.  After installing the CD-ROM hardware (a Sun CD-ROM drive), I
	reset the XL400 and followed the instructions to load the FEP kernal from the
	XL bootstrap tape.  The SCSI ID of the CD-ROM drive was 4.  After powering up
	the CD-ROM drive and inserting the CD-ROM, I did a disk restore:

    I know that sun cd-roms and apple cd-roms require different drivers because
    they have different command sets. Likely an XL400 cannot address a sun
    cd-rom drive.

As noted in the original message, you can only use an Apple CD-ROM drive
on the SCSI bus of an XL.

		  On the other hand, I use one from my UXL400
[This is UX400S, I presume.]
							      without problems
    because the CD-Rom is mounted on a sun, and the UX uses nfs to access it. If
    you XL400 is on a network, possibly you could do the same.

Precisely.  The only way to use a Sun drive to install Genera 8.1 is by
connecting it to a Sun computer on the local network and mounting the
drive, in the Unix running on the Sun.  This case is described completely
in the Installation Guide.

It's possible that the Sun computer(s) you have are models that do not
support CD-ROM drives.  In that case, the only way to proceed is to buy
one of the Apple CD-ROM drives from Symbolics or from an Apple dealer,
and connect it to your XL400.