dropped charcters in file saves

so Im writing a paper in zmacs and I cant seem to get the typos out.

Im saving the file to a Sun filesystem over ethernet where the
formatter and printer are and the character at file position 1458
consistently disappears.

I see this when I write the file out and then do a Source Compare
between the buffer and the file.   Seems like characters are lost
when writing.   I also see the same thing happen (at the same file
position when I write to an OS9 file system so Unix doesnt appear to
be the culprit.  This is on a 3640 with system 8.1

Has anyone seen anything like this?

thanks

Keith